Shooter In Lake Shore Drive Attack That Left Kayden Swann, 1, In Coma Charged; Grandmother ‘key’ In Finding Suspect, Police Say

The man who allegedly shot 1-year-old Kayden Swann in the head earlier this month on Lake Shore Drive has been charged, Chicago police said.


Load Error

Deandre Binion, 25, was charged with three counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated battery for firing a gun multiple times into a car traveling in the 1000 block of South Lake Shore Drive, police said.

Binion, of the 11000 block of South Green Street in the Morgan Park neighborhood, was due in court Friday.

Kayden was with his grandmother and her boyfriend, Jushawn Brown, 43, when a speeding SUV almost hit them on Lake Shore Drive near Soldier Field the morning of April 6. Brown pulled over toward a wall and started yelling at the SUV, and soon he was in an argument with the other driver, Cook County prosecutors said during Brown’s hearing April 8 on a gun possession charge.

The SUV driver pulled out a gun and asked Brown “what he wanted to do about it,” while dangling the weapon, prosecutors said. At that point, Brown grabbed his own gun and placed it in his lap, prosecutors said.

Brown kept driving, but the SUV was close behind and its driver fired several shots near Roosevelt Road, hitting the car multiple times, prosecutors said.

One bullet came through a window and struck Kayden in the head. Brown lost control of his car and crashed, prosecutors said, and Brown took his gun and left the car. A good Samaritan drove the three to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Kayden was then transferred to Lurie Children’s Hospital.

After an earlier police news release said Brown fired shots at the SUV, a later release omitted that information and police said that was still under investigation.

But during a short televised news conference on Thursday afternoon, Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan said police have determined Brown never fired shots in the road-rage confrontation, and said the child’s grandmother’s cooperation and police locating the gun used in the shooting were key in getting charges against Binion.

During the confrontation, Binion started shooting from the car, got out of the vehicle and was “continuing to shoot into the vehicle, striking the child in the head,” Deenihan said.

The boyfriend’s gun was “fully loaded” when police confiscated it, Deenihan said. “It doesn’t appear that anybody that was in the car with the child ever discharged a firearm,” he said. “There’s a little bit of different information out there, on who brandished the firearm first.”

The grandmother “was extremely cooperative with us” from the start, and was able to give police a detailed description of the shooter, which helped when police were able to track down the vehicle Binion was in and figure out it wasn’t registered to him, Deenihan said.

“We were eventually able to put someone in a photo array, and she does pick him out,” Deenihan said.

The gun used was found and taken into evidence, “along with several other weapons, which is going to be a different investigation, but the weapon that was used to injure the child was recovered.”

Deenihan said Kayden was in serious condition on Thursday.

On Monday, after Kayden had been treated there for more than two weeks, Kayden was moved out of pediatric intensive care and was “breathing on his own with support,” Lurie officials said.

“Kayden is moving spontaneously and continues to be very responsive to treatment, is alert and active. We are optimistic for his continued recovery,” a statement from Lurie’s Dr. Marcelo Malakooti said Monday.

On April 10, Kayden was out of a coma, the hospital said in an earlier statement.


Shooter in Lake Shore Drive attack that left Kayden Swann, 1, in coma charged; grandmother ‘key’ in finding suspect, police say